Thema:
Re:Nicht, dass es noch einen Unterschied machen würde flat
Autor: Ihsan
Datum:22.07.20 23:11
Antwort auf:Nicht, dass es noch einen Unterschied machen würde von membran

>Nur für's Protokoll - so wie es aussieht, hat Trump seinen Botschafter drauf angesetzt, die British Open für seinen dicke in den Miesen stehenden Golfplatz (2016: 23 Mio Verlust, insgesamt 300 Millionen in der Kreide) an Land zu ziehen.
>
>[https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/world/europe/trump-british-open.html]
>
>"LONDON — The American ambassador to Britain, Robert Wood Johnson IV, told multiple colleagues in February 2018 that President Trump had asked him to see if the British government could help steer the world-famous and lucrative British Open golf tournament to the Trump Turnberry resort in Scotland, according to three people with knowledge of the episode.
>
>The ambassador’s deputy, Lewis A. Lukens, advised him not to do it, warning that it would be an unethical use of the presidency for private gain, these people said. But Mr. Johnson apparently felt pressured to try. A few weeks later, he raised the idea of Turnberry playing host to the Open with the secretary of state for Scotland, David Mundell.
"
>
>In den 90ern wurden da drüben noch politische Karrieren beendet, weil der Politiker vor laufender Kamera einen Schüler falsch verbesserte.
>
>[https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/quayle3.htm]

Naja, die Karriere war ja nicht beendet und er war ohnehin eher ein intellektuelles Leichtgewicht:

Gaffes

Throughout his time as vice president, Quayle was widely ridiculed in the media and many in the general public, both in the U.S. and overseas, as an intellectual lightweight and an incompetent individual.[24
Contributing greatly to the perception of Quayle's incompetence was his tendency to make public statements that were either impossible ("I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future"[25]), self-contradictory ("I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy, but that could change"[26]), self-contradictory and confused ("The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. ... No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history"[27]), or just confused (such as the comments he made in a May 1989 address to the United Negro College Fund. Commenting on the United Negro College Fund's slogan—which is "a mind is a terrible thing to waste"—Quayle said, "You take the UNCF model that what a waste it is to lose one's mind or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is"[28][29]).

Shortly after Bush announced the Space Exploration Initiative, which included a manned landing on Mars, Quayle was asked his thoughts on sending humans to Mars. In his response, he made a series of scientifically incorrect statements: "Mars is essentially in the same orbit [as Earth]....Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."[30]

On June 15, 1992, Quayle altered 12-year-old student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" to "potatoe" at the Muñoz Rivera Elementary School spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey.[31][32] He was the subject of widespread ridicule for his error. According to The New York Times[33] and Quayle's memoirs, he was relying on cards provided by the school, which Quayle says included the misspelling. Quayle said he was uncomfortable with the version he gave, but did so because he decided to trust the school's incorrect written materials instead of his own judgment. ]

< antworten >