Thema:
Achso: Hat jemand Links zu guten Reviews der Serie? flat
Autor: Felix Deutschland (deaktiviert)
Datum:31.07.14 01:14
Antwort auf:Das Resteessen von Felix Deutschland

AV Club ist leider in den letzten sechs bis zwölf Monaten zu einem unlesbaren Affenzoo geworden, und die Reviews zu The Leftovers sind wutinduzierend Scheiße. Jemand ne gute Online-Quelle für Reviews?

Edit: Um mal die mittlerweile für Ami-Verhältnisse armselig schlechte Diskussionskultur zu belegen, hier mal ein Auszug aus dem Review zur aktuellsten Folge und ein Forumskommentar dazu:

Review von Sonya Saraya [http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/leftovers-gladys-207405]:

I get that Kevin has a story, here—but that moment for me crystallized so much of my irritation with the show. It’s just not for me. The town is full of white people. The Guilty Remnant is full of white people. And not just white—everyone we talk to is raised in a Christian framework. I’d go so far as to say Protestant, actually. Of this vast ensemble of characters, three are not white: the Asian girlfriend of a cult leader described as having a fetish for Asian girls, that same cult leader, who has Magical Negro written all over him, and the mayor of the town, who is so improbably cast and drawn that she is the embodiment of this trope. I appreciate that all three characters have depth. But Christine and Wayne are really just foils for Tommy, and the mayor serves to characterize Kevin. The main struggle of faith and belief is happening in the context of a bunch of Protestant white people in a suburb so affluent it is called Mapleton.

I watch a lot of shows that deal with concepts I didn’t grow up, ideas I don’t understand. I watch a lot of white people on TV. I’m not angry about that. But it is difficult for me to rustle up interest in a show that has no particular interest in reaching me and yet is perfectly happy to make me cast about the culture of Protestant white people to find the answers to its leading questions. I think I’m pretty up on cultures that aren’t my own, and yet often, the episode titles leave me searching, the sudden glimpses of figures in paintings entirely confuse me. And this, in an unsubtle show that is happy with an episode where a girl plays with fire, a woman talks about fire, and a dead crone is sent to burn in fire. It’s not subtle—it’s deliberately playing one note for one audience.

And it’s the whole show—not just the casting, not just the setting. The final shot of the episode, for example reads very differently if you grew up in a culture that values cremation. Fire is seen not as torment, not as corrosive, but as purifying. In that light, Gladys’ cremation is the best possible way for her to have gone out. And yet the dramatic music, and the juxtaposition with Kevin sobbing? The loss of her body to the ATFEC compound, after the Reverend wanted to pray for her soul? It seems like we’re supposed to feel bad. Or, like the Guilty Remnant, maybe we’re not supposed to feel anything. But I put the responsibility for that ambiguity on the show. And fine, if The Leftovers wants to play with ambiguity, it should. But that doesn’t make for very satisfying viewing in the long-term.

There are a lot of types of religious life out there. A lot of types of people. And a bunch of those people even watch HBO. (Hi, network executives, I exist.) It’s ridiculous that the show isn’t trying to reach me—isn’t trying to reach across the counter and tell the story of Faisal (which is the credited, never-spoken name of the Indian clerk). There’s a bunch of us who understand the world differently. And as the leftovers of Mapleton said in the bar in the first episode: “We’re still here.”

Kommentar dazu von User "Cliffy":

Here's the only lens you need to understand the show. It's just real life, turned up to about, oh, 14. No one can communicate, no one knows how to feel, and no one tries particularly hard to help anyone (although both Kevin and Father Matt make efforts that are only partially self-serving). The show (very much like Lindelof's previous effort) exists thematically to set forth a pessimistic view of humanity and make us confront it. To the extent that this isn't enough (I find it very compelling), it's a call to action to do better -- and this is made clear in the way the show establishes people as assholes (Father Matt, Gladys, the dry cleaner) and then doesn't flinch from their pain and fear. They don't deserve what they've gotten, even though they might have expected retaliation for being shits.

Also like LOST, this show features a main character, and a bunch of supporting characters, that are, like actual humans, both good people and jackasses at different times (sometimes at the same time). And specifically in Kevin's case, just like Jack from LOST's, people who want to help and protect others but immediately turn into sniping dickheads when they're stressed out. I find this very compelling because I'm exactly the same way.

(As an aside, Sonia is a freelance writer, I wonder if she even has to go to the dry cleaner. There is nothing more frustrating than when they lose your shirt and then don't even bother to look because they can't find it in the computer because they entered it wrong in the first place. This isn't to excuse Kevin, because there's no excuse for him, but I think it's plainly established that the dry cleaner is a dipshit. The point, as I say above, is that he should be treated better than he treats others, not that his poor behavior is an excuse to treat him even worse.)

Also, while I get that a person of color wouldn't find a show about a bunch of white people dealing with existential malaise (the apotheosis of white person problems) compelling, I don't understand how she misses that the dismissal disrespect, and fetishization by (mostly) white characters of most of the characters of color is making exactly the same point. Quite a lot of the show is about people seeing everyone else as Other; why wouldn't the classic, most real-world example be the same thing?

Here's where it would have been helpful to have someone review the show who had seen LOST. Not that this program should require a reading list (and it doesn't), but I think someone familiar with that show would understand that Lindelof's largest theme as a wrter is the destructive effects of tribalism (it's all over the Star Trek reboot too, although more the second than the first). And that is the purpose the Guilty Remnant serves in the story, regardless of the semiotics -- it is there to be the object of everyone's irrational hatred and fear of people who are just trying to process their tragedy and failing, same as every other character.

Finally, there is nothing about Wayne as we've seen him on screen that makes him a Magic Negro. Let us try not to overuse that phrase, huh?

Während die Reviewerin sich völlig daran verliert, die Serie an Racial Tropes auseinanderzuklamüsern, was sicherlich der uninteressanteste Aspekt an der Show ist (Und Entertainment nie "besser" als die Realität ist oder "gerechter", da braucht man nur so weit gehen wie beim Thema weibliche Hauptfiguren (Es gibt sehr wenige)), fängt der Kommentator zwar sachlich an, hängt sich aber schlußendlich an einer ad-hominem-kritik an der Autorin auf, die zwar fast gerechtfertigt ist, aber nicht auf die eigentliche Schwäche eingeht: Dass das Review sich gar nicht mehr inhaltlich mit der Show beschäftigt. Den Kommentar hab ich als immer noch mit den besten aus der gesamten Kommentarsektion hervorgehoben, was schon Bände spricht.

Da wird ein korrosiver Kreislauf schon vom Review ins Rollen gebracht, der vom Thema weggeht und gleich jegliche Vorwände von Stellvertreterdiskussionen vom Tisch fegt und gleich damit anfängt: "Lasst uns jetzt nicht über's Thema reden." Und die Kommentarsektion greift es dankend auf.

Dabei wäre die Serie auch und gerade wegen ihrer Schwächen diskutierenswert, einfach weil sie so "seltsam" ist.

Saraya sagt eingangs des Reviews etwas sehr richtiges, nämlich das "The Leftovers" sich sehr nah in den moralischen "personal space" des Zuschauers begibt durch die sehr offen gestellten Fragen trivialethischer Natur, aber dort lediglich verharrt und nicht wirklich irgendwas dort macht. Anstatt diesen Punkt weiterzuspinnen, reibt sie sich an einer Nebensächlichkeit auf. Das war bei ihren Reviews zu "The Following" absolut legitim, weil The Following keine Diskussionsgrundlage hergab (Man kann nur so oft sagen "Die Serie ist schlecht und schlecht erzählt und alles an ihr ist einfach handwerklich schlecht, bis auf die Kameraarbeit vielleicht und selbst das nicht immer") und es war der Raum da, die fürchterlichen Tropes auf die Schlachtbank zu schmeißen. In The Leftovers gibt es aber wirklich Dinge, über die man rein inhaltlich-stilistisch eingehen MUSS, und die werden einfach fallen gelassen zugunsten von Pet Peeves und persönlichen Befindlichkeiten - für die es wie gesagt immer eine Zeit und einen Ort gibt, aber eventuell nicht in dieser Form bei dieser Serie.

Dann arbeitet der Kommentator eine sehr gute Beobachtung heraus: Dass Lindelof-Charaktere selbst als Helden immer einen Dualismus in sich tragen, der sie komplex macht und "menschlich". Allein nur... nicht wirklich. Lindelof ist mit dieser dichotomischen Anlegung seiner Figuren nicht erfolgreich. Ob durch Obstruierung in Form von Rätsel- oder Rückwärtsdramaturgien oder schlichte Behauptung, die Umschwünge zwischen "XY ist ein super Typ" und "XY ist ABER AUCH ein Arschloch!" waren schon in LOST fast nie plausibel motiviert oder erklärbar, nicht zu jedem schwachsinnigen verhalten bekam man hinterher die Info "Ach DESWEGEN erzählt der in der Situation dem und dem die wichtige Info nicht!".

Oft genug wird es dabei belassen, das die Show einfach behauptet, dass der und der sich wie eine Titte verhält, weil "ist so" und "ist nur menschlich". Dabei ist das Bullshit.

Und es wäre auch interessant, zu diskutieren, inwiefern Justin Theroux ein mega schlechter Polizist ist (Er ist ein megaschlechter Polizist) und inwieweit das für die Serie von Bedeutung ist (Bisher so gut wie gar nicht, er hat keine negativen Konsequenzen zu spüren bekommen die damit in Zusammenhang stehen, dass er ständig zu spät kommt und keiner ihn ernst nimmt; alles andere wäre auch passiert wenn er jedes meeting pünktlich wahrgenommen hätte und jeder ihn mögen würde). Und da hätten wir wieder einen interessanten Punkt, den die Autorin des Reviews eingangs macht und den sie zu einer These hätte bringen können, alas, poor Yorick...

Ach scheißdreck. Ich ärger mich so. Das ist eine schön seltsame Serie über die ich mich gerade irgendwie unterhalten muss und zu der ich interessanten Input brauche, und die fucking amis haben nix besseres zu tun als ihren dummen Culture War in Popkulturwebseitenkommentarspalten auszutragen und währenddessen das links liegen zu lassen, was auf dem Seziertisch liegt. Als würden Anatomen bei der Sektion sich darüber miteinander anlegen, ob der Tote auf dem Tisch ein Arschloch war oder nicht.

Edit 2: Sepinwall macht das auf Hitfix ganz gut, ist aber fanboy, was ich widerum auch nicht sooooooooo geil finde. Aber er hat zumindest wahrnehmbares, ernstzunehmendes Interesse an dem, was er da guckt, was sich widerum in dem Reviews wiederspiegelt, aber wie gesagt imho viiiiiiiiel zu unkritisch.

Antworten nicht möglich, siehe Info neben Nickname