Thema:
Sehr geiler Artikel heute auf Engadget, übrigens flat
Autor: Slochy
Datum:10.11.15 19:37
Antwort auf:Zur Akku-Laufzeit des Steam Controllers von Slochy

[http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/10/we-hate-valve-steam-controller-because-its-different/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter]

Sollte sich jeder, der ein klitzekleines Bisschen Interesse an dem Ding hat, mal zu Gemüte führen.

Ausschnitte:

"Learning to appreciate Valve's Steam Controller first-hand was a herculean effort. I had to unlearn decades of sense memory and teach my hands to embrace a touch surface that walked a blurred line between mouse, trackball, thumbstick and button. I spent hours experimenting with Steam's robust controller configuration menus, slowly unlocking the gamepad's hidden potential by tweaking advanced customization features. I forced myself to use only the Steam Controller for weeks, neglecting my beloved high-performance mouse and mechanical keyboard with optimistic guilt. This wasn't just an afternoon or two with the controller, it was an extended, wholesale embrace that helped me wrap my head around it."

"At some point, something clicked -- I had more control over the games I was playing than I ever did with a traditional gamepad. My thumb's quick flicks and the subtle aiming motions I employed to the controller's gyro sensor felt natural and nuanced. I felt more immersed, I realized, and I was having more fun. It's true, sometimes I had to dive back into Steam's controller menu to build a new profile or tweak settings (in fact, the best configurations are custom-made), but I finally understood why Valve was so confident in its bold, defiant gamepad. It's a better gamepad experience for me. I just had to master the device's core competencies to enable it."

"I rushed to tell friends, peers and the internet of how I grew to love the Steam Controller, but soon learned I was a heretic. "The gamepad doesn't need to be fixed," I was told again -- and the suggestion anybody would ever choose a Steam Controller over the mouse and keyboard, even for casual use, is a statement so outrageous, it's almost offensive. How dare I challenge the status quo? How dare I accuse my friends of being afraid of change? How dare I suggest one learn how to use a radical new control device before passing judgement on it? I was rejected as an extremist, unable to see past his own dogma. I almost gave up."

"For a long while, I was angry at the gaming community for being closed-minded; furious that what I saw as a "fear of change" was keeping a fantastic evolution in controller design from flourishing. Eventually, I realized my folly: It took me endless days and weeks to overcome my own first impression of the bizarre controller, but here I was trying to impart its potential on others in a matter of moments. Hadn't I already learned that it couldn't be appreciated without training? Again, I was reminded of learning how to type on a DVORAK alternative keyboard. It's impossible to understand its potential without having first learned to speak its language: I'm gaming at 60 words per minute on the Steam Controller; everyone I'm showing it to is under 15."

"Instead, the Steam Controller's potential to change the current controller paradigm is overshadowed by both the effort required to master the strange device and the prejudiced fear of change that challenge promotes."

"It's the perfect PC gamepad for me: It's versatile enough to replace my Xbox 360 gamepad (I may never use it again), enable causal couch play for games never intended for the living room and it's made me think twice about using a mouse and keyboard in all but the most competitive or complex gaming scenarios. The Steam Controller is an amazing evolution in game control, but far too many gamers will never know. And all because change is hard."

< antworten >